Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Helping out the Red Onion...

I enjoy the flavor of onions...what I don't enjoy is the pungent, harsh flavor that consumes your whole mouth every time you bite into one of those raw, red ones.  Also how it sticks with you, even after you have eaten it...garlic does the same thing, but garlic is worth it. 
Those who go out to dinner with me, have probably noticed I immediately take the red onion off my salad.  I don't want to mess up my yummy ranch dressing.
It may sound like I don't like them, but in truth, I do love them...at home, when I prepare them.

While watching my beloved Food Network one day, a very long time ago, Rach or Bobby (can't remember which one...been too long...) said to soak your red onions in water to help get rid of some of the pungent juices...it worked!

Here's what you do...

Cut or slice your onion how ever you want...


Place in a bowl of water...


Gently squeeze the onions around to separate them and to help get some the juices out of them...


Let them sit for 15 mins...
Rinse...


and USE!


I should put this disclaimer out:  This is only for RAW red onion consumption, NOT for cooked red onion consumption.  Cooked red onions are a completely different ball game - those are amazing and completely worth your house smelling like an Italian restaurant for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment