Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Faux Weathered / Distressed Wood Painting

You know when you set out to do something and by complete accident it turns into something else better...that's what happened with my door.  We are redoing the laundry room - here's a picture to show why it needed to be overhauled...

scary huh?!?
More to come on the laundry room later...

The door that leads into laundry is your basic run of the mill builder's door from Lowes...nothing special, and that wasn't working...since my laundry room is now becoming special - well as special as a laundry room can become - I mean I still hate doing laundry...

So I decided to dry brush the door to resemble wood...and that's where this story begins...

To dry brush, you want to dip your brush in the paint up to about a 1/2 inch and then pat it off, so you are left with hardly any paint on the brush.  You then want to brush the paint on, going the direction of the wood.

I started doing this and was slightly happy, then I made the big dry brush NO NO mistake...I forgot to pat the brush and was left with this...

 Oops...by the time I got my rag and started to wipe it off, it had already began to get tacky and when I started to wipe with a worn out rag (not a new plush one), it started  "flaking off" and was left looking like this...

Which turned out to be EXACTLY what I wanted!  It looks like white weathered wood! 
Here's a couple side by side shots... 



So here's a recap

- The door needs to be painted with a creamy white (or whatever base you want) satin latex paint first (I tested it on an unpainted door and didn't get the same results - the paint comes of easier on a painted surface)

-Dry brush dark chocolate brown on the door, again following the grain of the "wood". 

- Let sit until it becomes "tacky", then with a worn out rag I rubbed the wood in certain spots to get the achieved look.  You'll end up with a nice mess like this on your floor when you're done



-Let dry...if you want to seal it, you can or you can let it dry and cure...I'm letting it dry and cure - if it gets dinged up - it'll go with everything else in my house.


This technique is really forgiving, I didn't see a piece of tape on the door pre-painting and this is what happened...

Want to see the whole door???  You'll just have to wait - did you think it was just going to be a simple painting job and I was done?!?




1 comment: