Wednesday, May 16, 2012

When you are feeling ambitious in the morning...make pancakes!


Confession- I’m lazy overwhelmed in the morning and my idea of a good breakfast for my kids is a bowl of cereal.   

Usually my kids are ok great with that, but lately they have been requesting pancakes (daddy spoils them on Sat. morning).   So trying to be a good mommy, I have made them on occasion – not the made from scratch kind, but the add eggs, milk and oil kind (not all of us can be perfect, especially in the morning!)  As I was surfing on Pinterest, one day I came across a “make our own mix” pin…so I pinned and did some research on different homemade pancake mixes.  After considering how much I spend on pancake mix (that stuff is not cheap) bad the ingredients are for my kids (always my number one…hahaha…I couldn’t keep a straight face with that one…while it’s definitely on my list, I’m the first one to admit Reese’s cereal is their favorite cereal – it has vitamins in it), I decided to give it a try and see how it worked out…the results: it’s great!  Easy to make (very important), no junk (just what I put in there), and CHEAP (score!) 

Below is the recipe I came up with...
-want to make it a little healthier?  grind up some flax seeds and add that to your batch (not the whole mix, flax seeds start to lose some nutrients once they are grounded up)
-want blueberry pancakes?  throw some of those in the batter
-want something not healthy but really good?  throw in a mashed banana, chocolate chips, and pecans and then another handful of chocolate chips for good measure


Pancake Mix

5 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. powdered milk
1 c. buttermilk powder (if you don't or want to use this, you can use all regular milk)
1 c. sugar
3 TB. baking powder
1 1/2 TB baking soda
2 1/2 ts. salt

Sift and mix all the ingredients together, then store in an airtight container


To Make Pancakes

2 c. mix
1 1/2 c. water
1 egg
2 TB. canola oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

I used a 1/3 c. to pour the pancakes on the griddle and I got about 10 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment