Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Poppin' and Rockin' Summer

So it's that time of the year again - end of year parties, teacher gifts, and classmate gifts...I only have 2 kids to do this with - I don't want to even think about next year with all 3!

Evie's class is doing a movie party and we are bringing the best caramel popcorn ever! After Evie and I tried to come up with something to do, I quickly decided her ideas were slightly out of my budget and I thought that the popcorn was going to have to work would make a great gift for the students!  As I was thinking of a saying for the tags, "poppin' and rockin'" kept coming to my mind, but the popcorn only covered the poppin' - but Pop Rocks would cover both!  I know that it doesn't really coordinate - popcorn and Pop Rocks - but kids don't care and it's the only thing I could come up with!

Here's what I came up with...





And here's the final product!


What you'll need:

lunch sacks
glue sticks
Poppin' & Rockin' tags (download here)
circle punch from cute paper, mine was white on one side so Evie could sign it (I used a 2" punch)

Glue just the 2 sides and bottom 1/2" edges down to the lunch saks.  This will make the oh so cute pocket for the Pop Rocks to fit into.
Have your child write "From:" on the round punch outs and attach with ribbon or twine


Here's the recipe for the best caramel popcorn ever
If you don't like caramel popcorn, then use regular popcorn - but not liking caramel popcorn is almost as bad as not liking chocolate - I said almost...not liking chocolate is a sin.


CARAMEL POPCORN
from allrecipes.com

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 quarts popped popcorn

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
  3. Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.               



4 comments:

  1. Love the pocket on the front! perfect! and yes, not liking chocolate is a sin. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I actually might have time to use this idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!! The pocket on the front has many possibilities! Use it Yahnira - it's easy and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the pocket idea! Sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete